Saturday, March 8, 2014

VIDEO GAME HISTORY: What games are the precursors to the "endless runner" genre?

  One thing I enjoy about the various chronological system playthroughs (CRPG Addict, Chrontendo, etc.) is that they provide a bit of a history of video game ideas, letting you see the discovery and evolution of some tropes and gameplay styles that are still around today.  While mainstream console and PC gaming has fewer "oh, what a cool new idea" innovations (Katamari Damacy is the last US release to my memory which really did something very "new"), the flash game, iOS, and other assorted mobile game markets have really taken off in terms of innovations, if not always "fun" ones.  One of the early big hits in terms of genre-defining mobile game experiences is the "endless runner" genre (and the related finite-runner ones).  Canabalt is a great example of a "pure" endless runner, Temple Run is a good example of a slightly more complex one that also made it big.
  Playing the latest Donkey Kong Country, I wondered if the series was the original precursor to the endless runner, with it's minecart levels.  I suppose Battletoads or some other fixed-speed racers qualify a bit, but to me DKC is the first one that has that pure, one-button gameplay feel that Canabalt especially provides.  So, it's an open question: which games helped define the endless runner genre, either as the earliest example of them or as the ones who did it good enough?  I'm sure there's an old arcade game or PC game that beats either of the two games I've mentioned.  I'll add more as I get suggestions.

Battletoad's horrible racer level
Donkey Kong Country series' mine cart levels

No comments:

Post a Comment